Before 1700, sugar cane was found on a few plantations with swampy areas such as Santa Cruz. Since the yield was too little for the manufacture of sugar, it was used for the production of rum for the local market. Father Schnabel called this rum distilled from sugar cane in 1707 ‘money devil’. It is unclear when rum production ceased. The sugar mill has now been restored and designated a legally protected monument. Remains of masonry from the possible distillery were identified by the Archaeological Working Group.
The sugar mill will also be restored on the inside and the original hood with blades will be placed back on the mill